Does anyone know?
In my experience, the various Christian and Christadelphian ideas of "God" could fit any/all of the following definitions:
- A place-holder for things we don't (yet) understand.
- Another word for "magic".
- An external projection of a person's ideal self (see this scientific study).
- An anthropomorphism of the laws of nature.
- A mental crutch for people who feel vulnerable and look for strength outside themselves rather than looking within. Ironically, the strength still comes from within, but indirectly via a powerful illusion. An inner parent vs child metaphor works equally well.
- A comfortable catch-all for people who don't like uncertainty.
- The answer to end all questions.
Did I miss any?